How Water Softeners are Good for the Environment
When making purchases for our homes today, we have more to consider than ever. From cost and service to new technology and product features, we have a lot to consider. And when you add how our choices effect the environment, it can be downright overwhelming. This is definitely true when considering a new or replacement water softener for your Naperville, IL home.
You might be wondering if using a water softener can be positive for the environment. The answer is yes, and we are here to break down the benefits that using a water softener can have on our planet.
1. A water softener preserves your appliances. This includes any appliance that uses water, such as washing machines, dishwashers and refrigerators with built-in water filters and/or ice makers. Hard water causes scale buildup on appliances that have hard water running through them. This corrodes the pipes and fixtures, and clogs the water lines running to and through the appliances. This corrosion will cause the appliance to break down much sooner than those running with soft water, which means that you will end up replacing them more often and putting more waste into landfills. These are major purchases for most families, so it will impact the carbon footprint and your wallet.
You should also specifically consider how the water in your home impacts your water heater. Just as minerals from hard water build up and corrode your pipes, they cause can cause your water heater to corrode prematurely, putting you at risk for a major water leak. Not only is this a huge expense and inconvenience, but the repair and waste that results from the water damaged items is not eco-friendly.
2. A water softener preserves your home. Just as large appliances work more efficiently with soft water, your smaller fixtures do, as well. Your home’s faucets, shower heads, tubs, toilets, and pipes are all effected by the type of water you have. Consider what it takes to get water through your home and into your shower, for example. Now consider the energy that is used if those pipes and fixtures are narrowed due to the buildup of calcium from hard water deposits. Using a water softener in your Naperville, IL home will provide energy efficiency, and will keep your fixtures looking like new. It is an investment in your home and good for the planet.
3. Your dishes, glassware and laundry look better longer when they are exposed to soft water. Hard water causes laundry to look dingy, and your dishes, utensils and cookware to look spotted. Consider the cost to replace your clothes more often, as well as the water and energy it takes to keep dishes and cookware looking new. A water softener can not only save you time and money but, once again, cuts down on what you send to the landfill.
4. Using a water softener means you will use less soap and detergents. Soft water requires less soap to lather and clean and, according to whatsyourimpact.org, “A 2009 Swiss study found that the carbon footprint of liquids is about 25 percent larger than that of bar soaps on a per wash basis. Liquid soap requires five times more energy to produce and nearly 20 times more energy to package” Let’s face it, we don’t wash dishes or do laundry with bar soap, so installing a water softener means less soap and a lower carbon footprint.
5. A water softener may improve the taste of your water. Great tasting water means less bottled water and disposable water filters in our landfills. In addition, cutting the production of this items is makes Mother Nature happy, and can save you a lot of money, too.
Prairie State Water Solutions cares about the environment, too. That’s why we offer high-efficiency water softeners for your Naperville, IL home. In addition, we offer our special Water Efficient Technology. W.E.T.™ is a series of features that self-regulate and adjust to your family’s water usage. The system monitors the amount of water that is used in the household, and only delivers the amount of salt that is needed in proportion to the amount of water needed. In addition, it reduces the amount of water used during rinse cycles, and monitors the salt levels in the water softener. With smart technology, you will get an alert with the salt levels become too low, so you’ll never forget to fill your salt tank again. The W.E.T.™ system can save up to 50% of the salt and water used by today’s high-efficiency systems. In fact, once the system is installed, the savings history screen will show you how much salt and water you’ve actually saved. The less salt and water used, the better for the environment.
When selecting the best water softener for your Naperville IL home and the environment, call Prairie State Water Solutions. We are water experts who can guide you in selecting the product or products that are right for your family, home and the planet. Call us at 1-630-864-7078.